- Pursuit of Perfection Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 Share
- It’s not the SI cover, but it’ll do
Thursday, December 11th, 2008
David Nelson, former Raider football standout, has made it into Sports Illustrated.
His touchdown catch against Alabama in the SEC Championship didn’t make the cover, pretty boy Tim Tebow does after Florida’s win, but Nelson got a more than generous spread shot in the Dec. 15 magazine.
Nelson also was included a little here and there in the article by Austin Murphy.
The photo is pretty amazing. TRN ran a photo of Nelson was celebrating his touchdown grab and it wasn’t nearly as good as the one SI chose.
It’s exciting to me to see local football talent make it big, so seeing the photo in the magazine was pretty surprising.
That’s why I’m going for the Gators in the National Championship game. That and the fact that I hate O-Who.
- Area’s high school football season comes to an end
Monday, December 8th, 2008
There is no more high school football for area teams.Share
When Archer City lost to Albany 14-7 on Friday, it ended the season. And a bit prematurely I may add.
Since I started covering football at the paper five years ago, I have seen at least one team advance to the semifinals.
- Archer City-Albany showdown
Thursday, December 4th, 2008
When I cover football games, I usually only ask for two things:Share
1) A close game; no fun writing my story at halftime because one team is up 35-0.
2) A quick game. The quicker, the easier it is to make deadline. I absolutely hate when one team gets behind by 30, then throws 50 times trying to get back in the game.
- And then there was one
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008
Congrats to Archer City being the last area high school football team standing.Share
It’s actually kinda weird — not that the Wildcats are still playing, but that there is only one team remaining.
At this time last year, we had six teams still alive. Rider, Vernon, Seymour, Munday, Windthorst and Grandfield were all playing ball.